QQI Level 5 Certificate in Sports, Recreation and Exercise – 5M5146.
This course is aimed at the learner who is interested sports injury and massage. It is ideal for the learner who wants to pursue a career in physical therapy or work in the sports injury field. The course combines a full QQI Level 5 in Sports, Recreation and Exercise with ITEC diplomas in Sports Massage and Sports Injuries – ensuring that the learner is engaged in a variety of modules covering sports recreation, exercise and fitness, sports massage and sports injury management, and treating and preventing sports injuries.
Further your career opportunities with our International Therapy Examination Council (ITEC) Diploma Awards – the internationally recognised standard in sports learning and examinations.
Share your love of sports in an active career as a sports injury therapist.
Contact us at email@example.com for help and more information.
- Health clubs. +
- Health studios. +
- Hotels. +
- Salons. +
- Self-employment as sports injury therapists. +
- Exercise and Fitness (5N2668) Level 5 QQI.
- Work independently and or in an instructional capacity in an exercise, health and fitness environment.
- Nutrition (5N2006) Level 5 QQI.
- Understand the nutritional composition of food and the effects of food and nutrition on a persons health and well-being. It also assists the learner to develop the academic and vocational language related to nutrition.
- Safety and Health at Work (5N1794) Level 5 QQI.
- In any work environment, knowledge of health and safety procedures and legislation is vital. The skills and knowledge learners gain from this component are essential on a CV to many employers.
- Sport & Exercise Injury Prevention (5N5665) Level 5 QQI.
- Sports Anatomy & Physiology (5N4648) Level 5 QQI.
- Human anatomy and physiology and how it is relevant to participation in sports and exercise.
- Sports and Recreation Studies (5N2667) Level 5 QQI.
- The theory and practice underpinning sport and recreation activities to enable the learner to work under supervision in a variety of sport, recreation and exercise context.
- Sports Massage (injury) (QAN 100/2592/3) Level 3 ITEC.
- Apply the principles of injury prevention and management, recognise and understand the different types of sports injuries, contraindications and when and when not to treat. Sports Massage Techniques will include manual lymphatic drainage, neuromuscular technique, muscle energy technique, soft tissue release, connective tissue massage and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation, maintenance, application of cryotherapy and thermotherapy. selecting massage mediums, evaluating the effectiveness of the treatment and giving aftercare advice.
- Sports Massage Therapy (including pre and post event massage), Diploma (QAN 601/5574/7) Level 3 ITEC.
- Provide sports massage therapy treatments to the general public and to gain employment in the sports industry. Sports treatment will include sports massage, postural analysis, pre and post massage.
- Taping and Strapping for Sport and Active Leisure, Award (QAN 600/1882/3) Level 3 ITEC.
- Apply, taping and strapping to support and limit specific movement – to include preparing for taping and strapping techniques, devising and agreeing strategies, positioning the client correctly, evaluating the effectiveness of taping and strapping, providing reassurance and giving the client opportunities for feedback and producing and storing client records.
- Communications (5N0690) Level 5 QQI.
- Communicate verbally and non-verbally in standard everyday tasks and in work-related tasks, operating independently while under general direction.
- Work Experience (5N1356) Level 5 QQI.
- Participate in the workplace for a limited time, carrying out work-related tasks independently while under general direction. Prepare yourself for industry, prepare your CV (and online LinkedIn profile), practice interview skills, and gain invaluable experience on your own work placement.
Courses are continually developed – content and specific award components are subject to change. See disclaimer.
One year. Full-time. Class timetables to follow in September, and subject to change. See calendar for term holidays.
- CAO points not required.
- All applicants will be required to attend an interview. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent. For mature applicants appropriate experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
- QQI Certificate in Sports, Recreation and Exercise, Level 5 – 5M5146.
- ITEC Diploma in Sports Massage, Level 3 – QAN 100/2592/3.
- ITEC Award in Taping and Strapping for Sport and Active Leisure, Level 3 – QAN 600/1882/3.
- ITEC Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy, Level 3 – QAN 601/5574/7.
This course requires participants to be Garda vetted. Continued participation on the course and work placement is dependent on the successful completion of this process.
Clinical and fieldwork is an integral part of this course. The dates and duration will be specified by the College in September.
- Full Fees (EU/EEA Citizens): €908
- Medical Card Holders: €658
- Student Grant Recipients (SUSI): €708
- Back to Education Allowance (BTEA): €708
- Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS): €130
- €50 Deposit (refundable) per year.
- €130 other costs.
- Retain Social Welfare benefits. Additional weekly allowances for meals, travel and childcare are also available.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.