QQI Level 5 Certificate in Security Studies – 5M2110.
Become PSA licensed under the Private Security Services Act 2004 – and work immediately in the security industry as either door supervisor (licensed premises) and security guard (static).
With Mallow College’s QQI certified academic qualification, including security and criminology, open a path to progression to institutes of technology across Ireland.
Security classes in Mallow College add to their academic work with team-building exercises and events, self-defence training, practical work experience, and have a valued tradition as a part of the team during College public events and open days.
Think about a future in a wide range of security services – strengthen your application for airport police, the defence Forces, emergency and security services or in An Garda Síochána.
|Award||QQI Level 5 Certificate in Security Studies – 5M2110.|
|Format||Full-time. September 2022 to May 2023.|
|Location||Onsite at Mallow Campus (online contingency in case of COVID regulations).|
|Timetable||Hours between Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 15:30.|
|Requirements||No CAO required (Leaving Cert./LCA/equivalent for under 23s). Application review discussion.|
|Starting||Classes start the week of Monday the 19th of September 2022.|
|Fees||€300 (SUSI/BTEA €300, Medical Card €250, VTOS €0).|
|Applications||Applications open. Places available. No deposit required to start your application.|
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for help and more information.
- Airport police. +
- Defence forces. +
- Fire services. +
- Prison services. +
- Private security industry. +
- Security systems and procedures. +
- Security Industry Procedures (5N1785) Level 5 QQI.
- Legal Practice and Procedures (5N1394) Level 5 QQI.
- General understanding of legal principles, the criminal justice system, civil law, and other legal topics so that you can appreciate the role of the law in your personal and vocational life.
- Safety and Health at Work (5N1794) Level 5 QQI.
- In any work environment, knowledge of health and safety procedures and legislation is vital. The skills and knowledge learners gain from this component are essential on a CV to many employers.
- Conflict Resolution (5N0692) Level 5 QQI.
- Explore the reasons for conflict arising and the signs and cues conflict is escalating. The positive dimension to conflict and the effect of personal actions and reaction are assessed. A variety of approaches to conflict resolution are explored including negotiation, compromise, mediation etc. Students get an opportunity to demonstrate conflict resolution skills in are variety of different work settings.
- Door Security Procedures (4N1114) Level 5 QQI.
- Guarding Skills (4N1118) Level 5 QQI.
- Criminology (5N2107) Level 5 QQI.
- Understanding of crime, and how crime affects individuals and communities. Students will learn about different types of crime and explore the drug problem in Ireland and its effects.
- Communications (5N0690) Level 5 QQI.
- Communicate verbally and non-verbally in standard everyday tasks and in work-related tasks, operating independently while under general direction.
- Work Experience (5N1356) Level 5 QQI.
- Participate in the workplace for a limited time, carrying out work-related tasks independently while under general direction. Prepare yourself for industry, prepare your CV (and online LinkedIn profile), practice interview skills, and gain invaluable experience on your own work placement.
Courses are continually developed – content and specific award components are subject to change. See disclaimer.
One year. Full-time. Class timetables to follow in September, and subject to change. See calendar for term holidays.
- CAO points not required.
- All applicants will be required to attend an application review discussion. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent. For mature applicants appropriate experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
This course requires participants to be Garda vetted. Continued participation on the course and work placement is dependent on the successful completion of this process.
Work experience is an integral part of this course. The dates and duration will be specified by the College in September.
Use your full QQI award to advance your career in security and progress to Mallow College’s advanced certificate in Security Operations & Management. Alternatively, apply through the CAO for degrees in Institutes of Technology across Ireland. For more links and detailed information on how to use your Mallow College qualification go to mallowcollege.ie/progressions.
A full QQI award achieves a maximum of 390 points for CAO.
- Full Fees (EU/EEA Citizens): €300
- Medical Card Holders: €250
- Student Grant Recipients (SUSI): €300
- Back to Education Allowance (BTEA): €300
- Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS): €0
- €50 Deposit (refundable) per year.
- Retain Social Welfare benefits. Additional weekly allowances for meals, travel and childcare are also available.
Email us at email@example.com.