QQI Level 5 Certificate in Computer Systems & Networks – 5M0536.
Train as an experienced Networks and Computer Systems Administrator.
Achieve a solid foundation in hardware maintenance, Linux systems software, local area networking, programming and scripting, database management, virtualisation, website design and web server hosting.
Ensure your progression opportunities with QQI Maths for IT – the latest alternative to leaving certificate maths.
Specialise in industry standard and trending technologies in an holistic approach across the course – with sought after employment skills in Linux server operating systems, LibreOffice, PHPMyAdmin and MySQL server administration, Python programming, Windows Server 2016, and virtualisation with VMware and Oracle VirtualBox.
Common projects include installing and configuring LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP/Python) servers as virtual machines, scripting system administration tasks in Python, configuring and testing local area networks, managing network services and remote connections, managing system security, installing and deploying web servers, deploying a WordPress CMS, managing files and file transfer, managing SQL servers, installing and maintaining servers and software.
Practice and develop your skills in a dedicated computer science laboratory – using a range of technologies from wired to wifi and PC to Android. Actively train as Linux system and network administrators in the only fully immersive QQI course in Linux and open source programming – giving our learners a unique edge in industry and in progression success.
Progress to CIT or UCC and beyond, ready with a solid year one foundation in relevant computer science and programming subjects.
|Award||QQI Level 5 Certificate in Computer Systems and Networks – 5M0536.|
|Format||Full-time. September 2022 to May 2023.|
|Location||Onsite at Mallow Campus (online contingency in case of COVID regulations).|
|Timetable||Hours between Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 15:30.|
|Requirements||No CAO required (Leaving Cert./LCA/equivalent for under 23s). Application review discussion.|
|Starting||Classes start the week of Monday the 19h of September 2022.|
|Fees||€300 (SUSI/BTEA €300, Medical Card €250, VTOS €0).|
|Applications||Applications open. Places available. No deposit required to start your application.|
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for help and more information.
- Corporate technical support sector. +
- Database management. +
- Database/programming intern. +
- IT operations technicians. +
- IT user support technicians. +
- Linux Administrator. +
- Networks and Computer Systems Administrator. +
- Systems Administrator. +
- Virtualisation support. +
- Web design. +
- Web hosting. +
- Computer Systems Hardware (5N0548) Level 5 QQI.
- Specifications and functions of the essential building blocks of a modern PC: processor (CPU), memory (RAM), storage disks, input and output devices. Learn to source and price, build and maintain custom specification machines.
- Maths for Information Technology (5N18396) Level 5 QQI.
- Apply a broad range of mathematical skills and tools to a wide variety of contexts especially in software development and/or working with computer systems and networks. Get to grips with essential maths, binary, and logic for programming, networking, and computer hardware.
- Networking Essentials (5N2929) Level 5 QQI.
- Understand the OSI model of computer networking: learn how to setup, test, troubleshoot and manage a complete computer network: Linux and Windows, Windows Server 2016, wired, WiFi, switches, routers, TCP/IP, MAC addresses, IP addresses, Internet.
- Operating Systems (5N2928) Level 5 QQI.
- Develop the skills of a Linux systems administrator with Ubuntu Desktop 17.10 and Server 17.10 editions: manage users, hardware, files, software, and security. Install, configure and test dual-boot systems for Windows 10 and Linux Ubuntu. Practice using Oracle VirtualBox virtualisation.
- Programming and Design Principles (Python) (5N2927) Level 5 QQI.
- Code and develop your own computer programs and commands in the Python programming language for Linux and Windows – using the PyCharm IDE. Explore command-line and graphical-user-interface techniques. Practice coding as part of a team.
- Virtualisation Support (5N2434) Level 5 QQI.
- Develop the essential skills of the modern system administrator in virtualisation (running complete machines simultaneously within the same hardware) alongside your studies in operating systems and hardware. Explore Vmware and Oracle VirtualBox machine virtualisation techniques for desktops and servers.
- Teamworking (5N1367) Level 5 QQI.
- Teamwork is a fundamental skill in the workplace today. This component explores the role and responsibilities of team members, the impact of effective and ineffective team members and the opportunities and challenges of working within a team. The stages of team development and the impact of team leadership are explored. Students participate in a team based project to practice skills such as negotiation, decision making, conflict resolution and communication skills in a team environment. Students reflect on their own performance to create an awareness of their personal strengths and areas for improvement.
- Work Experience (5N1356) Level 5 QQI.
- Participate in the workplace for a limited time, carrying out work-related tasks independently while under general direction. Prepare yourself for industry, prepare your CV (and online LinkedIn profile), practice interview skills, and gain invaluable experience on your own work placement.
- Optional: VMware Cloud Fundamentals (Cloud) VMware.
- Fundamental understanding of VMware’s Cloud products, including the business challenges those products are intended to solve.
Courses are continually developed – content and specific award components are subject to change. See disclaimer.
One year. Full-time. Class timetables to follow in September, and subject to change. See calendar for term holidays.
- CAO points not required.
- All applicants will be required to attend an application review. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at application review.
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent. Candidates should ideally have a good Leaving Certificate maths grade at ordinary level or higher; or a proven aptitude for computer science and programming. For mature applicants appropriate experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
- QQI Certificate in Computer Systems & Networks, Level 5 – 5M0536.
- VMware VMware Education: Cloud Fundamentals.
Work experience is an integral part of this course. The dates and duration will be specified by the College in September.
Advance to QQI level 6 IT awards. Use your full QQI award to progress to degrees in Computer Science, Computer Networking, IT Management, Business Information Systems, and Games Development. For more links and detailed information on how to use your Mallow College qualification go to mallowcollege.ie/progressions.
A full QQI award achieves a maximum of 390 points for CAO.
- Full Fees (EU/EEA Citizens): €300
- Medical Card Holders: €250
- Student Grant Recipients (SUSI): €300
- Back to Education Allowance (BTEA): €300
- Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS): €0
- €50 Deposit (refundable) per year.
- Retain Social Welfare benefits. Additional weekly allowances for meals, travel and childcare are also available.