QQI Level 5 Certificate in Health Care Support – 5M4339.
Launch an exciting career in the HSE and private healthcare organisations. Train with our dedicated team of fully qualified nurses in Mallow College’s newly renovated and equipped healthcare unit.
Harness your maturity, previous life and work-experiences to develop new skills, achieve the necessary QQI certification, and be workplace ready as a healthcare assistant on graduation in nine months.
Unlock opportunities for employment. Become a valued member of a personal care team assisting nursing and medical staff in a hospital, nursing home, or home help environment.
Change your life to a career that makes a difference.
|Award||QQI Level 5 Certificate in Health Care Support – 5M4339.|
|Format||Full-time. September 2022 to May 2023.|
|Location||Onsite at Mallow Campus (online contingency in case of COVID regulations).|
|Timetable||Hours between Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 15:30.|
|Requirements||No CAO required (Leaving Cert./LCA/equivalent for under 23s). Application review discussion.|
|Starting||classes starting the week of Monday the 19th of September 2022.|
|Fees||€350 (SUSI/BTEA €350, Medical Card €300, VTOS €0).|
|Applications||Applications open. Places available. No deposit required to start your application.|
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for help and more information.
- Carer. +
- Healthcare assistant in the hospital, nursing home and intellectual disability sectors. +
- Home help/personal care. +
- Nursing home/day care centre employee. +
- Voluntary care services. +
- Care of the Older Person (5N2706) Level 5 QQI.
- Meet the full and holistic needs of older people in a variety of care contexts and to develop an awareness of the increasing needs of older people in the community today.
- Care Skills (5N2770) Level 5 QQI.
- Equip the learner with the skills, knowledge and competence to care for clients in a safe and hygienic environment.
- Care Support (5N0758) Level 5 QQI.
- Work effectively in a care setting. It aims to promote good practice and respect for diversity in lifestyle, religion and culture in care work.
- Infection Control and Prevention (5N3734) Level 5 QQI.
- Prevent and/or manage outbreaks of infection and to recognize their role in the prevention of infection in a health care setting.
- Intellectual Disability Studies (5N1652) Level 5 QQI.
- The causes, range and effects of intellectual disabilities and develop awareness of social models of support and role of various professionals in responding to the needs of persons of intellectual disability.
- Palliative Care Support (5N3769) Level 5 QQI.
- Care for a person with a terminal illness and their family in a dignified, inclusive and holistic manner.
- Safety and Health at Work (5N1794) Level 5 QQI.
- In any work environment, knowledge of health and safety procedures and legislation is vital. The skills and knowledge learners gain from this component are essential on a CV to many employers.
- Word Processing (5N1358) Level 5 QQI.
- Use a word processing application to produce documents in a variety of contexts to a mailable and publishable standard whilst working autonomously and under general direction.
- Communications (5N0690) Level 5 QQI.
- Communicate verbally and non-verbally in standard everyday tasks and in work-related tasks, operating independently while under general direction.
- Work Experience (5N1356) Level 5 QQI.
- Participate in the workplace for a limited time, carrying out work-related tasks independently while under general direction. Prepare yourself for industry, prepare your CV (and online LinkedIn profile), practice interview skills, and gain invaluable experience on your own work placement.
Courses are continually developed – content and specific award components are subject to change. See disclaimer.
One year. Full-time. Class timetables to follow in September, and subject to change. See calendar for term holidays.
- CAO points not required.
- All applicants will be required to attend an application review discussion. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent. For mature applicants appropriate experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
- QQI Certificate in Health Care Support, Level 5 – 5M4339.
- Patient Handling, Client Moving Certificate.
- Elderly Abuse Certificate.
- Non Violent Crisis Intervention Certificate.
This course requires participants to be Garda vetted. Continued participation on the course and work placement is dependent on the successful completion of this process.
Work experience is an integral part of this course. One day per week plus block release of two weeks duration. The dates will be specified by the College in September. Each student is responsible for securing their own work placement. A total of 200 hours will be required.
Use your full QQI award to progress to degrees in the Health Sciences, Social Care, Community Development, and Nursing. Progress to the QQI Level 6 in Health Care at Mallow College. For more links and detailed information on how to use your Mallow College qualification to progress go to mallowcollege.ie/progressions.
A full QQI award achieves a maximum of 390 points for CAO.
- Full Fees (EU/EEA Citizens): €350
- Medical Card Holders: €300
- Student Grant Recipients (SUSI): €350
- Back to Education Allowance (BTEA): €350
- Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS): €0
- €50 Deposit (refundable) per year.
- Retain Social Welfare benefits. Additional weekly allowances for meals, travel and childcare are also available.
Email us at email@example.com.