QQI Level 5 Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education – 5M2009.
Specialise in the childcare profession: learn to support and nurture children with special needs and abilities. Prepare to work as a special needs assistant (SNA) in pre-school, primary or secondary level schools.
Achieve the competence to work in a professional childcare team. Mentored by experienced childcare professionals, gain ongoing practical experience of special needs assisting alongside the academic knowledge of child development theory and practice.
Work placement is an integral part of the course. Learn your craft as part of a working professional team.
Start with a solid basis to progress to an advanced certificate in QQI at Mallow College or straight to degree level with UCC, CIT and elsewhere. Join our excellent graduate success rate and gain immediate employment in the growing childcare industry.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for help and more information.
- Personal care assistant. +
- Pre-school special needs assistant. +
- Primary school special needs assistant. +
- Secondary school special need assistant. +
- Child Development (5N1764) Level 5 QQI.
- Introduction to the theory and practice of child development from 0-6 years. The component aims to promote good practice, equality of opportunity and respect for diversity in lifestyles, religion and culture in early years care.
- Child Health and Well Being (5N1765) Level 5 QQI.
- Provide for the health and well-being of children and maintain healthy, hygienic and safe practices and environments in a range of early childhood care and education settings.
- Creative Arts for Early Childhood (5N1769) Level 5 QQI.
- Ensure that each child’s learning , development and well –being is facilitated through the provision of creative opportunities.
- Early Care and Education Practice (5N1770) Level 5 QQI.
- Early Childhood Education and Play (5N1773) Level 5 QQI.
- Ensure that each child’s learning, development and well being is facilitated through the provision of opportunities, experiences, activities, Interaction, materials and equipment, having regard to the age and stage of development of the child and the child’s cultural context.
- Irish for Pre-school Services (5N2005) Level 5 QQI.
- Introduce Irish to young children in early education and care settings.
- Special Needs Assisting (5N1786) Level 5 QQI.
- The practices and principles underpinning the role of a special needs assistant to enable the learner to work effectively under direction in a special needs capacity.
- Understanding Special Needs (5N1709) Level 5 QQI.
- Background knowledge, skills and competence required to work effectively, under direction, in a special needs setting.
- Communications (5N0690) Level 5 QQI.
- Communicate verbally and non-verbally in standard everyday tasks and in work-related tasks, operating independently while under general direction.
- Work Experience (5N1356) Level 5 QQI.
- Participate in the workplace for a limited time, carrying out work-related tasks independently while under general direction. Prepare yourself for industry, prepare your CV (and online LinkedIn profile), practice interview skills, and gain invaluable experience on your own work placement.
Courses are continually developed – content and specific award components are subject to change. See disclaimer.
One year. Full-time. Class timetables to follow in September, and subject to change. See calendar for term holidays.
- CAO points not required.
- All applicants will be required to attend an interview. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent. For mature applicants appropriate experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
- QQI Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education, Level 5 – 5M2009.
- First Aid Certificate.
This course requires participants to be Garda vetted. Continued participation on the course and work placement is dependent on the successful completion of this process.
Work experience is an integral part of this course. Students spend four days a week in College and one day a week on practical work placement. There are also block placements throughout the year. The dates and duration will be specified by the College in September.
Advance to QQI level 6 in Early Childhood Care at Mallow College. Use your full QQI award to progress to degrees in Early Childhood Education, Social Care, Community Development, and Arts. For more links and detailed information on how to use your Mallow College qualification go to mallowcollege.ie/progressions.
A full QQI award achieves a maximum of 390 points for CAO.
- Full Fees (EU/EEA Citizens): €500
- Medical Card Holders: €250
- Student Grant Recipients (SUSI): €300
- Back to Education Allowance (BTEA): €300
- Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS): €0
- €50 Deposit (refundable) per year.
- Retain Social Welfare benefits. Additional weekly allowances for meals, travel and childcare are also available.
Email us at email@example.com.