QQI Level 5 Certificate in Applied Social Studies – 5M2181.
Launch your career in social care or social work.
Identify issues affecting your own life and that of your community and society. Study psychology and how to apply the theory to real life situations. Acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for active and positive participation in the complex, diverse and rapidly changing society we live in. Develop an awareness for how to best support and respond to the needs of people with intellectual difficulties.
Develop your professional competency by learning about law and how to promote safety and health in a working environment.
Applied Social Studies at Mallow College will equip you with knowledge, confidence and ability to advance to degrees in social care, social work and in youth and community work.
Graduate with the competence to work effectively in a variety of community/social care settings and with the ability to relate to people of all ages regardless of their needs.
Contact us at email@example.com for help and more information.
- Community and youth work projects. +
- Community childcare opportunities. +
- Intellectual disability services. +
- Social care assistant (after further study). +
- Voluntary organisations. +
- Applied Psychology (5N0754) Level 5 QQI.
- Psychological perspectives, psychology as a science and psychological disorders. It aims to provide a learner with the knowledge, skills and capacity to understand psychological processes. On completion of this programme module, learners will have a better understanding of psychology.
- Human Growth and Development (5N1279) Level 5 QQI.
- Introduction to lifespan development encompassing the stages of development from birth to old age. This will assist learners in working in the field of social and community care settings. Prerequisite skills required for working with people with needs is also explored throughout this module.
- Intellectual Disability Studies (5N1652) Level 5 QQI.
- The causes, range and effects of intellectual disabilities and develop awareness of social models of support and role of various professionals in responding to the needs of persons of intellectual disability.
- Intercultural Studies (5N0765) Level 5 QQI.
- Analyse, reflect and explore issues relating to multi and interculturalism, equality, conflict and racism in the national and international contexts.
- Legal Practice and Procedures (5N1394) Level 5 QQI.
- General understanding of legal principles, the criminal justice system, civil law, and other legal topics so that you can appreciate the role of the law in your personal and vocational life.
- Safety and Health at Work (5N1794) Level 5 QQI.
- In any work environment, knowledge of health and safety procedures and legislation is vital. The skills and knowledge learners gain from this component are essential on a CV to many employers.
- Social Studies (5N1370) Level 5 QQI.
- Awareness of sociological concepts and current social issues in relation to the individual and the wider society. Students will also be guided through research methodologies in this module.
- Communications (5N0690) Level 5 QQI.
- Communicate verbally and non-verbally in standard everyday tasks and in work-related tasks, operating independently while under general direction.
- Work Experience (5N1356) Level 5 QQI.
- Participate in the workplace for a limited time, carrying out work-related tasks independently while under general direction. Prepare yourself for industry, prepare your CV (and online LinkedIn profile), practice interview skills, and gain invaluable experience on your own work placement.
Courses are continually developed – content and specific award components are subject to change. See disclaimer.
One year. Full-time. Class timetables to follow in September, and subject to change. See calendar for term holidays.
- CAO points not required.
- All applicants will be required to attend an interview. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent. For mature applicants appropriate experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
This course requires participants to be Garda vetted. Continued participation on the course and work placement is dependent on the successful completion of this process.
Work experience is an integral part of this course. The dates and duration will be specified by the College in September.
Graduates can progress to Social Care and Community Development in CIT, to Arts, Applied Psychology, Social Work, Youth & Community and Criminology in UCC, to Social Care in IT Tralee, to Psychology & Sociology in UL, to Social Science, Psychology and Social Care in WIT. See mallowcollege.ie/progressions for further information.
A full QQI award achieves a maximum of 390 points for CAO.
- Full Fees (EU/EEA Citizens): €500
- Medical Card Holders: €250
- Student Grant Recipients (SUSI): €300
- Back to Education Allowance (BTEA): €300
- Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS): €0
- €50 Deposit (refundable) per year.
- Retain Social Welfare benefits. Additional weekly allowances for meals, travel and childcare are also available.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.