QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Software Development – 6M0691.
Extend your skill-set in networking and in software development at QQI level 6 – whether your level award 5 is in computing and networks or in software development we’ve designed this course to facilitate either.
Explore the world of graphical Windows programming with VB.net, object-oriented code with Python, modern Agile software project development and project planning, and SQL database, with the technical backup of excellent networks skills.
Level 6 computing at Mallow College is your opportunity to develop your qualifications and experience in your own familiar and friendly environment before you decide to move on to Level 7 and 8 at the institutes of technology or university – or to apply to get that job in IT.
Our world, our new smart economy, is already entirely reliant on IT and on quality IT trained professionals. You’re getting into an industry with a continuing shortage of skilled staff – across a wide range of fields, from technical writing, to networking, to being part of a software testing or development team, to customer IT support, IT management, consultancy, or to finally breaking out and starting your own enterprise, large or small.
- Database/programming intern. +
- Independent program/app development. +
- IT project and programme managers. +
- Programmers and software development professionals. +
- Software development teamwork. +
- Graphical User Interface Programming (VB) (6N0736) Level 6 QQI.
- Design and develop event driven graphical user interfaces (GUI) in the form of visual applications for the single-user desktop environment. Using Microsoft Visual Basic and/or Java Swing.
- Object Oriented Programming (Python) (6N2108) Level 6 QQI.
- Construct a range of computer programs using industry standard object oriented concepts. Using Java.
- Physical and Logical Networking (6N2093) Level 6 QQI.
- Design, implement and maintain physical and logical networks based on a comprehensive knowledge of data transmission in terms of network models, protocols and services. Using Windows and Ubuntu Linux (server and desktop) tools, physical and virtual machines.
- Project Management (6N4090) Level 6 QQI.
- Theory, principles and practice of project management to enable the learner to take responsibility for the planning, implementation and review of a project, working independently and or supervising the work of others.
- Relational Database (6N4785) Level 6 QQI.
- Design, implement and maintain relational database systems. Using Microsoft Access and/or MySQL.
- Software Architecture (6N1449) Level 6 QQI.
- Analyse the software development lifecycle for a range of projects and use industry‐standard tools and techniques to design, improve and implement appropriate software based on specific requirements.
- Communications (6N1950) Level 6 QQI.
- Communicate verbally and non-verbally in a comprehensive range of everyday tasks and in work-related tasks independently and/or in a supervisory capacity.
- Work Experience (6N1946) Level 6 QQI.
- Participate in the workplace for a limited time, carrying out work-related tasks autonomously and/or in a supervisory capacity.
Courses are continually developed – content and specific award components are subject to change. See disclaimer.
One year. Full-time.
- CAO points not required.
- All applicants will be required to attend an interview. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- For entry to Level 6 a full QQI Level 5 Award in a complementary area is required.
Work experience is an integral part of this course. The dates and duration will be specified by the College.
Use you full level 5 and level 6 QQI awards to apply for entry into year one or year two or computing degrees across Ireland. For more links and detailed information on how to use your Mallow College qualification go to mallowcollege.ie/progressions.
A full QQI award achieves a maximum of 390 points for CAO.
- Full Fees (EU/EEA Citizens): €500
- Medical Card Holders: €250
- Student Grant Recipients (SUSI): €300
- Back to Education Allowance (BTEA): €300
- Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS): €0
- €50 Deposit (refundable) per year.
- Retain Social Welfare benefits. Additional weekly allowances for meals, travel and childcare are also available.